RICHARD N. VAN WICKLER
has been the superintendent of the Cheshire County Department of Corrections since June of 1993. His corrections career began in 1987 at the Merrimack County NH Department of Corrections. Superintendent Van Wickler was recruited by the Cheshire County Board of Commissioners in 1993 to assume responsibility of the Cheshire County Jail, which faced significant litigation in Federal Court and to revitalize an agency that was in need of training, structure and professionalism.
Superintendent Van Wickler served three years in the active component of the U.S. Army and retired in December 2006 after 26 years of military service. During his military career he was trained in helicopter armament systems, was a combat infantryman, drill instructor, First Sergeant for an infantry Drill Sergeant Company, senior military academy instructor and ROTC instructor for the University of New Hampshire.
Superintendent Van Wickler has extensive background in training and management which led to the founding of Chameleon Consulting of New England in 2001. Rick has provided numerous presentations on the management of aggressive human behavior in many jurisdictions of NH. Rick's knowledge of corrections has been tremendously enhanced by his attendance at the National Institute of Corrections in Colorado and as an adjunct faculty instructor in justice studies for Keene State College and the NH Community Technical College.
Superintendent Van Wickler holds a BS in Management from Franklin Pierce University and is a co recipient of the President's Community Partner Award from Antioch University Graduate School.
"It only makes sense if you consider the facts and honor the evidence".
- ACA Correspondence Course Review Committee 1990
- Adjunct Faculty NH Community Technical College
- Adjunct Faculty Keene State College
- United States Army Reserve - Retired
- Association of Counties Correctional Academy instructor
- Special detail with the U.S. Secret Service
- NH County Correctional Superintendent of the year 1997
- Recipient of the New Hampshire Association of Counties
- "profile service award" 2009
- BS and AA in management - Franklin Pierce College
- Founder of Chameleon Consulting of New England